The cost of data loss varies greatly depending on a company’s size and industry. However, there are numbers to give you a general idea about the danger of data loss. According to IBM, the average data breach damage reaches as high as $3.92 million. And that’s just monetary costs, without taking into account dissatisfied customers and tarnished business reputation.
That is why data security becomes a high priority. In this article, we’ll take a look at native data loss prevention Office 365 capabilities and how to improve them.
Reasons behind Data Loss
All businesses are constantly risking to lose their data. There are several reasons behind data loss in Office 365:
Of course, Microsoft has a wide set of measures to protect your information, but business-critical information still gets lost. To what extent is native Office 365 data loss prevention effective?
Built-in Microsoft Office 365 DLP
Microsoft provides O365 admins with data loss prevention tools to comply with security standards. Setting up DLP policies in the Security and Compliance Center helps to protect sensitive information like personal and financial data. Let’s take a look at DLP policies, what they do, and what they don’t.
Setting up Data Loss Prevention in the Security and Compliance Center
O365 Security and Compliance Center allows you to set up data loss prevention policies. They are quite important, but they don’t eliminate data loss risk completely. DLP policies allow you to:
- Identify documents with sensitive information (like the credit card number) across Microsoft apps.
- Prevent users from sharing sensitive information accidentally by limiting access to it.
- Monitor and protect sensitive information in the desktop versions of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
To create a DLP policy:
- Log in to your Office 365 account.
- Go to the Admin centers section and find Security & Compliance.
- Click Data loss prevention.
- Click Create a Policy. You can create a new policy on your own or use one of the pre-built Microsoft templates.
Would you like to find out more about the S&C Center? Check our tips for O365 admins in our article about Security and Compliance Center roles.
Microsoft DLP Limitations
DLP policies, provided by Office 365, are quite effective in reducing the chances of accidental deletion or sharing sensitive data. However, that’s all to it. There are things that DLP policy can not help you with:
- Accidental deletion or sharing of data, not labeled as sensitive.
- Insider threats
- Incorrect migration
Using only built-in Office 365 DLP can slightly reduce the probability of data loss in some cases, but it doesn’t protect your data completely. Setting up DLP policies can not protect from human error or external threats completely.
Long story short, Office 365 data loss happens even though there are built-in tools to prevent it. But you can use additional software to improve data loss prevention.
Advanced Office 365 Data Loss Prevention Software
Getting third-party software might be a great idea to enhance the security of your Office 365 data. You can try SpinOne, an end-to-end cybersecurity platform protecting your cloud data. We offer two products: SpinBackup to recover lost data and SpinSecurity to make your O365 files safe from ransomware.
“Why do I need external backup?” you may ask. The reason is Microsoft’s native recovery tools have some limitations, that can lead to a data loss. You can find out more in our article about reasons to backup Office 365.
Backup allows you to avoid data loss by recovering all lost data from a safe copy. How does SpinBackup protect you from data loss?
- Creates a copy of your Outlook, Onedrive, Calendars, and Contacts.
- Utilizes advanced encryption techniques.
- Ensures safe O365 data migration.
- Provides indefinite data retention.
- Keeps multiple data versions to choose from.
- Preserves the folder hierarchy file recovering the whole folder.
Just click Restore and get your data back if it was lost.
With SpinBackup, you can keep your Office 365 data safe from human error, insider threats, malware, and other safety breaches.
To decrease the ransomware-related risks even further, we offer you an advanced ransomware protection tool – SpinSecurity. It combines all backup features + unique machine learning algorithms to ensure that your data will not be lost due to ransomware.
SpinOne is an end-to-end solution, that includes ransomware detection, remediation, and recovery – all in one platform. Early detection makes it possible to reduce the chance of ransomware-related data loss to the minimum.
Our anti-ransomware process consists of four stages:
- Ransomware Detection Scanner Identifies an Attack.
- System Blocks Access to G Suite/Office 365.
- System Identifies Damaged Files.
- Recovery from Backup.
Besides, you don’t need to monitor this interface all the time. Ransomware protection and recovery are automated. You’ll get an email notification in case of an attack.
All our solutions have a Free 15 Day Trial. Try it now!
Ransomware Protection Free Trial
2,234 total views, 4 views today