According to Microsoft, SharePoint has 190 million users across 200,000 organizations. Just like with other Microsoft Office 365 services, a backup for SharePoint is critical for protecting your data (and here’s why).
As one of the leading Microsoft Office 365 backup providers, we would like to show several ways on how to backup SharePoint data using native and third-party tools.
Table of Contents
How to Backup SharePoint with Native Options
- Log in to your Office 365 account and select SharePoint.
- Select the site you need to back up.
- Click DocumentsName.
- Click Sync.
- Open OneDrive.
Done! Remember that you’ll need the desktop versions of OneDrive. However, backing up SharePoint using OneDrive is not the best option. After all, neither OneDrive nor other Office 365 apps are backups. They have some limitations.
Microsoft Office Backup Solution from SpinOneTry it Free
Limitations of Native Tools
Though you can back up and restore SharePoint data using built-in tools, they have some limitations:
- If the version history is turned off, you won’t be able to restore files to a previous version.
- If you upload a deleted item again, the restore operation for that item will be skipped.
- If your files were removed from the site collection recycle bin, you can’t restore them.
- All data is stored in the same cloud, which leaves backup data vulnerable to the same threats as the original data.
- Backing up your Sharepoint data is a manual process. If you make any changes, you’ll have to backup your data again, or you won’t be able to recover the most recent version.
- Using OneDrive Sync is not the most secure option, as your backup can be infected with ransomware.
Using automated third-party tools will help you to avoid those limitations.
There are several ways to backup your SharePoint site. There are also several ways to restore it. You can learn about them in our next article: How to Recover SharePoint Files.
How to Backup SharePoint with Third-party Software
To make your SharePoint backup and recovery more effortless, you can try using third-party software. SpinOne for Microsoft Office 365 is a fully automated backup solution that helps you protect your data.
Our tool backs up your SharePoint sites automatically and saves all changes without any effort on your part. With Spin, you can back up SharePoint online to Azure, Amazon’s AWS, or Google’s GCP. To back up SharePoint, make sure you are subscribed to our Custom Storage plan.
If you need to change backup settings or recover your data, here’s what to do:
- Log in to your Spin account (here’s a Free Trial).
- Click Settings in the upper-left corner, and then select SharePoint & Teams.
- You’ll see a panel that allows you to manage backups of your SharePoint sites. Tick a site to select it. Here, you can turn on/off an automated backup for SharePoint site content and libraries.
- If you need to restore your site’s content/documents library, select the site you need to restore and click Site Content/Documents Library. After that, choose the items you need and click Restore.
Secure your corporate data with the market’s top backup tool for Microsoft Office 365!Request a demo