Not all security threats come from outside your organization. Employees are a leading cause of data breaches according to a 2016 report by Experian. In this report, over half the companies surveyed said they had suffered a security incident or data breach due to a malicious or negligent employee.
Some employee security risks can be dealt with through staff training and the implementation of security policies; for example, ensuring all users on the system are educated in password security and follow the company’s BYOD policy.
However it is not sufficient to simply educate staff and hope that they follow the rules. In every organization, cases are likely to occur in which company policy is deliberately not followed.
This may be for malicious reasons (for example a disgruntled member of staff or one who is leaving the company and wishes to take confidential corporate data with him or her), or for more innocuous reasons such as an employee wishing to download data to his own storage devices so he can work more easily out of the office.
Either way, it is vitally important for organizations that use cloud services to monitor their employee activity so that any suspicious behavior will be recognized immediately.
Spinbackup Domain Audit as Abnormal Behavior Monitoring
The domain audit, which is part of the cybersecurity service of Spinbackup for Business, provides an overview of all user actions in real-time and allows administrators to see the risk level of all activities at a glance.
On the domain audit screen, administrators are able to view the following information for each user action as it occurs:
- Date and time of the action
- Color-coded risk level (high, medium, low or info)
- The user who initiated the action
- The type of action (login, transfer, download, data sharing, or authorization)
- The app associated with the action
- The IP address of the user
- The location of the user including country and city.
A unique part of our cybersecurity solution – abnormal employee behavior analytics that can help you to detect the following security threats:
- Granting access to risky 3rd-party apps
- Irregular login from an unexpected location
- Migration of data from corporate cloud storage to private cloud storage
- Downloads from corporate cloud storage to a local device
- Sharing files publicly or with 3rd-party users outside the domain.
Clicking on the risk level will activate a popup displaying more information about the type of action:
It is also possible to access an audit of individual apps from this screen, by clicking the name of the app:
The administrator can also choose to monitor the activity of individual employees. This screen lists all recent actions of the selected user, with the same information as on the main domain audit screen:
How Spinbackup Insider Threat Detection Can Help Increase the Security of Your Organization
Spinbackup’s cloud cybersecurity service is unique as it provides data leak and loss protection, all in one dashboard.
Our data leak protection solutions are designed to provide you with complete visibility of potential security breaches and business risks in your organization, because visibility is the first step towards better security.
The following are some examples of high-risk situations that could occur due to insecure employee actions, either maliciously or due to lack of understanding about company data security. These examples illustrate how Spinbackup can help to prevent these risks from becoming serious security problems:
- A departing employee transfers sensitive data from a corporate G Suite account to his private one at DropBox, SkyDrive, or another cloud storage service. Spinbackup detects it and reports the transfer to a G Suite administrator and allows the admin to revoke access (most common case).
- An employee shares critical data with a 3rd-party outside of your organization accidently or on purpose. In this case, Spinbackup provides a detailed map of all the items shared with the 3rd-party or shared on the Web to help administrators easily fix all security breaches in the company.
- An employee installs a new 3rd-party app that has full account access to corporate data. Spinbackup detects it and reports this to the administrator, allowing him to revoke access.
- An employee downloads an abnormal number of files to his local device. Once Spinbackup detects this, a G Suite administrator will be notified about it instantly.
- A criminal from outside the organization has managed to obtain the login credentials of an employee and is logging in remotely in order to access confidential corporate data. The login history and activity allows administrators to detect any suspicious logins from unfamiliar locations and revoke access if necessary.
You can receive automatic notifications of any actions by email and/or Slack, based on the level of risk you choose to trigger an alert (high risk only, medium and high risk, or all levels of risk).
It is also possible to set Spinbackup to automatically revoke access to a risky app that has access to corporate data.
With this multi-pronged approach, Spinbackup is highly effective at preventing data leak disasters in a company of any size.
Here at Spinbackup, we are looking forward to working with you to ensure the safety of your business in this field. You can rest assured that cybersecurity of our clients is our top concern. Sign up for a free trial today.
2,020 total views, 2 views today