Human error is an inalienable part of all our activities. And the work related to data entry, editing and deletion is not an exception. Human error can significantly impact business performance and result in financial losses. In this article, we’ll take a deeper look at this phenomenon. Additionally, we’ll outline the strategies for human error prevention and mitigation in SaaS applications.
Table of Contents
Human Error Basics
In this section, we’ll talk about human error types. Furthermore, we’ll provide some of the whopping statistics related to human error’s impact on business performance and cybersecurity, as well as its role in data loss incidents.
Types of Human Errors
There are two types of human errors:
This type emerges due to attention diversion from a task. For example, an external factor distracts a worker. Another example would be when a person begins to think about something else.
This type of error also includes:
- a memory lapse when you forget to complete a task,
- a slip of action when you skip an action or perform it on a wrong object.
These types of errors occur when an employee lacks knowledge and skills to perform a task or misuses a certain rule.
Human Error Statistics
According to IBM, human error stands for 95% of all breaches.
95% of companies report undermined performance due to poor quality data.
90% of all cyber claims were due to human error.
Human error is responsible for 75% of data loss.
70% of data center outages were caused by human errors.
According to Information Technology Intelligence Corp., 59% of downtime incidents were caused by human error.
In 2016, US companies lost $3.1 trillion over bad data.
Humans make 3 to 6 errors per hour on average regardless of their activity.
The error rate for manual data entry with no verification is 4%.
According to Nopsema, human error is responsible for anywhere between 70-100% of incidents
Human Error Prevention in SaaS Applications
SaaS applications have boosted business performance significantly. One big category of these apps is cloud office suites like Google Workspace and Microsoft Office 365. These are digital environments that enable workers to store and collaborate on big sets of data simultaneously.
Some of the most common human errors are fixed by these applications. For example, text editors and presentation programs have inbuilt spellcheckers. The document versions can help you recover accidentally erased pieces of data in a file.
Another example would be a recycle bin that enables you to restore deleted files, providing a basic level of data management. However, it is important to implement comprehensive data management strategies to address the limitations of native tools. Files in bins are stored for 2 weeks approximately. After this period they are whipped out by the app automatically.
The impact of data loss can be devastating. Moreover, there are human errors that cannot be corrected by native tools in GW or MSO 365. For example, a ransomware attack will encrypt all the files in your Google Drive or OneDrive without the possibility to revert these changes. In this case, a company should either pay a ransom or look for decryption keys if any. A short reminder: ransomware attacks in cloud offices can only happen due to human error.
Similarly, Salesforce, one of the most secure CRMs for enterprises, is also prone to human error. The biggest danger in the case of SFDC would be a mistake made by developers that can break metadata. In other words, it can cause the loss of all the relations between different objects in your CRM making the management of your sales pipeline impossible.
Summing up, it’s essential to mitigate human error risks in SaaS applications. The good news is that advancements in data science have led to the development of innovative third-party tools that leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to minimize the impact of human errors. Let’s take a look at how your company can manage human error.
Human Error Prevention in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office 365
As mentioned above, human error can cause two main problems in Google Workspace and Office 365 alike:
- Data deletion or corruption by mistake
- Data encryption in case of a ransomware attack
Cybersecurity experts including those working at Spin Technology, say that SaaS data backup is the most efficient way to mitigate risks related to both problems. These SaaS solutions provide robust data management capabilities, ensuring secure and reliable backup and restoration of critical data.
That’s why Spin Technology has created a backup solution for both cloud services.
Here are the benefits of the Spin Backup tool for companies:
- Hands-free management with daily automated backup
- Avoiding more data loss incidents with the backup of services (email, contacts, and calendars)
- Compliance with the possibility to choose a data center (AWS, GCP, Azure, or any other)
- Security with data encryption in use, at rest, and in transit
- Streamlined on- and offboarding with easy data transfer
- Adherence to the 3-2-1 rule with local download functionality
- More backed-up data with version storage
- Faster restoration due to fast search and point-in-time granular recovery
- Better control with the reports on data storage
Learn more about:
Minimize human error impact on your businessTry SpinOne!
How to Prevent Human Error in Salesforce
In 2022, Spin Technology launched a new backup solution for Salesforce to help enterprises prevent downtime caused by human error. Our solution backs up all types of data.
However, experts agree that the two most valuable features are the backup and restoration of metadata and sandbox. That’s because it mitigates the human error made by developers. These errors can cause significant downtime in the performance of Salesforce and ultimately the whole sales pipeline. Needless to say that any delays in the work of the revenue-generating team can cause significant financial losses.
The benefits of the Spin Backup tool for Salesforce:
- Backup automation that mitigates memory lapse on Admin’s side
- Minimization of downtime caused by human error through quick reversion of any changes made to metadata
- Staying compliant due to the possibility to choose a data center (AWS, GCP, Azure, or any other)
- Enhanced security of triple encryption (in use, at rest, and in transit)
- The fastest restoration due to the use of two types of Salesforce APIs and granular recovery feature
- Ease at finding the mistakes due to “Compare” functionality
- Streamlined development process due to sandbox backup and recovery
Learn more about Salesforce backup by Spin
Minimize human error impact on your businessTry SpinOne for Salesforce!